Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dumb Bunny Pt 2

I had two beers the entire night (a five hour period). The last one was consumed around 8:30 so I know that wasn't where culpability lay.

I stay up until 1:30am or 2:00am every night so I am pretty sure that midnight hadn't made me overly tired.

Well, whatever the reason, last night I failed to remove my hand as I shut the door of my car. Two things happened at that moment: First, an intense and piercing pain rang through my hand like a phone without mute. Pain, the likes I have only experienced three other times in my life -more on that in a minute. Second, a gut wrenching realization that I had just locked the door and to extract my hand I was going to have to fumble through my pockets to find my keys.

The only other times I felt such sharp and intense pain was: Freshman year high school, laying on the wrestling mat with a broken collar bone; landing with my elbow in my side on the last snowboard run of the day and breaking two ribs; and, feeling my meniscus cartilage rip away from itself playing flag football two years ago. Most of the time pain is a mild irritant but on those previous occasions pain was as close to a fine pitch of perfection as it gets. Last night was right up there with 'em.

After a very fitful night, with next to no sleep, I figured I should go to the doctor to have my now swollen and purple thumb checked out.

"Ah, yes you see that there? It's a fracture. Nothing much we can do other than immobilize it, but here's a splint and some Motrin. Have a good day then."

This thing hurts like hell and I walk a way with Motrin!? They could have at least bought me a bottle of Kilbeggan or Jameson to take the edge off. But alas I had to do that myself.

Note to self... remove hand prior to shutting door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this must run in the family... didn't one of your nephews break his finger by stepping on it??? :)

DirtE said...

Dear Anonymous:

Run in the family?! NO, it walks. It meanders. Hell, it loiters in the family.
There is a stagnant pool of clumsy and stupid things that we perform on a regular basis. If it is /NOT/ such a "great idea," there's a sure bet you'll find someone from my family doing it.

XOXO
-Dirt

Please, Jesus, Save Me from Myself!

The Delusional calling on a “god” to stop the delusion. The Ouroboros is eating it’s tail again. "Televangelist Pat Robertson is pray...