Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Found It!

There are those moments when I am looking for something. I have torn the house apart and still can't find it. I stop. I regroup. I lean against a wall trying hard to recall where I last saw it, and there it is on the counter. Not only is it in front of my face but in perfectly plain view as well.
Or, there are the moments where I can't find the right word. I know what it is, I've used it a million times, but I just can't figure out what it is. "Man! That word would be perfect there." Three hours after I have turned in my article I remember what it is.
Or, the moments when I am at the theatre and I have bugged Jenn for the umpteenth time to tell me who that actor is. Where have I seen them? I got nothing, until in a moment of clarity I realize it isn't even an actor I've ever seen before; just someone that reminds me of someone else.

Life is like that for me, so I shouldn't be shocked when those things happen. However, when Julie sent me an article this week I was surprised to find something that I didn't realize I was looking for.
Anti-intellectual
Americans really are stupid. Not just any kind of stupid either. It is a conscious choice to be ignorant; a purposeful dumbing-down of anything erudite. Sure I have been saying it for years but I never bothered to add up the equation. I am an American and I am stupid; case in point. I just needed to see it in print to put that point on it.

I can honestly say that absolutely every one of my friends are smarter than I am. I admire intelligence so why would I surround myself with idiots? It challenges me. I like it that way. The thing is that the majority of Americans are ignorant and /they/ like it that way. They try to find people as equally inane as they are, or worse yet they look for even bigger idiots to surround themselves with. It wasn't until I read that article that the light bulb turned on. We really are a society of anti-intellectuals. Why didn't I realize that years ago? We'll elect a circle-jerking frat boy to our highest public office simply on the merits that he doesn't make us feel dumb. In fact he makes the populace feel like a bunch of freaking geniuses. How sad! We elected the token fat chick so that we, along with our banal, vapid cheerleader posse can feel good about how great we look. Don't feel sorry for the fat chick though. She's been dicking over the rest of the high school by stealing all of their food and putting on an extra 800 hundred pounds. If we are lucky his, I mean her, heart will explode from over-consumption.

2 comments:

Frick said...

You didn't complete the link for "Anti-intellectual"

DirtE said...

Dear Frick,

Damn it all to hell!! You see my friend, that is why I keep people like you around.

Fixed.

-dirt

Please, Jesus, Save Me from Myself!

The Delusional calling on a “god” to stop the delusion. The Ouroboros is eating it’s tail again. "Televangelist Pat Robertson is pray...