Thursday, January 19, 2006

Going Seedless

I went to Vitamin Cottage today and bought some organic oranges. I pulled apart the first juicy slice and noticed something strange, a seed. Childhood memories came flooding back to me. Am I crazy or did all fruit, at one point, contain seeds? I seem to recall that there were seeds in almost every piece of fruit I ate as a kid. Apples, oranges, pears, grapes, even (and the younger generation might not believe me here) watermelons had seeds. Where are those seeds going and how do fruit reproduce these days? Are seedless avocados next? Were the seeds of my youth a false memory?

I tried an experiment. I went to Safeway and bought a couple of oranges -no seeds. I went to Albertsons and bought a couple of apples -almost no seeds. The thing is that the oranges from Vitamin Cottage with the seeds tasted about a hundred times better than the ones from Safeway. Coincidence? The fruit (as I understand it) evolved as a protection for, and as a means to feed, the seed. I can only imagine that if the seed needed some good nourishment then the fruit would have been pretty damned tasty as a result. Take away the seed and there is no reason for the fruit to taste as good. What is the motivation for the fruit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some stores offer seedless hamburger buns now. I'd like to see a seedless strawberry. See it not eat it.

DirtE said...

Dear Tim,
Seedless Hamburger buns!??? You're just talking crazy talk.

Dirt

Please, Jesus, Save Me from Myself!

The Delusional calling on a “god” to stop the delusion. The Ouroboros is eating it’s tail again. "Televangelist Pat Robertson is pray...